Friday, August 22, 2008

Newfound Freedom






Ever wait for something for what seems like forever with complete excitement and when it finally gets here, it is more bittersweet than you expected? I am sitting in Chick-fil-A enjoying my sweet tea and #3 Combo with bacon all by myself. I am enjoying my first 3 hours of kid free freedom for the first time in ten years. Noah and Leah started 5th and 2nd grade on Monday and today, Jonah started 3 year old preschool. I have truly dreamed of this day and all the awesome things I could accomplish in my treasured 3 hours, but now that I am there, I am kind of sad. It is VERY quiet. I am sitting in a new spot (opposite of the play area) and I am overwhelmed with my new found freedom. Is this what it is going to be like next year when Jonah is in 4 year old preschool 4 mornings a week, and then the next year when he goes off to Kindergarten? I know this is where we want our kids to be, gaining their independence from us, but what do we as moms do now? I guess I will start by praising God that I am a mom and that I have 3 beautiful, healthy children who love Him and life. I pray they continue on this cycle of gaining their independence and that God would bless me with the gift of letting them go and grow. I pray He would fill me with His presence as together, we begin this journey together.
*Chick-fil-A is a great hang out. They play the best praise music ever. I am already enjoying my time in His presense.

8 comments:

queenof57 said...

thanks for the up date. some moms work full time,so we didn't get blocked time off, so enjoy this time because you will brink and it will be your grandkids going to second and sixth, get the kids big hugs and kisses love mema

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Wasn't it just last week we were mailing out UMHB catalogs?

Heather said...

nicely said. It may have been sad, but is sweet tea and quiet all that bad??

Britt's Blog: The Travis Troop said...

I'm back up and running!! Posted the fun from our Ranch weekend.. check out the pics... school blog to come next!
I miss you my PT!!!!!

Lisa Smith said...

Ummmm, I think when they are all in school it will be worse. palmer and I cried all day long when the three older kids went to school!

But, yes, each stage of life brings wonderful new blessings...Like when we have friends over now, my house doesn't look so much like a preschool or nursery! And, now we expect more posts out of you!

Jenn said...

Loved seeing all the first day of school pictures.

I hear what you are saying but sometimes I have to admit I am looking forward to a little alone time.

I hope you enjoyed your alone time today. Enjoy the holiday with your family.

the peterson family said...

cute blog! I'm adding you to my list! And yes I'm a Broncos fan! Shame on me!! Hope all is well!

Rose Ann Mitchell said...

Hello Amy, Just wanted you to know that I had the honor of taking Cooper, (Trey's 5 year old) to his first day of kindergarten. Imagine my surprise when he teared up and SO DID I!! What is wrong with this picture. I am only the grandmother. Enjoy every precious moment with the children. Love your blog.